Melie Bianco Ethics Policy
BUSINESS PRACTICE STANDARDS FOR VENDORS, SUPPLIERS, AND CONTRACTORS
- OVERVIEW Melie Bianco is committed to legal compliance and ethical business practices in all our operations worldwide and is firm in our resolve to do business only with those vendors, suppliers, and contractors that we believe share in that commitment. In support of this commitment, Melie Bianco demands that all Vendors agree to follow our business practice standards as condition of the business relationship.
- CHILD LABOR/SWEATSHOPS We require our Vendors to comply with all applicable laws and regulations mandated by the country in which the merchandise or product is manufactured, including but not limited to laws against child labor, forced labor and unsafe working conditions.
- CONFLICTS OF INTEREST A conflict of interest occurs when Vendor’s or Melie Bianco employees’ or agents’ (collectively, “Associates”) personal interests or activities conflict with the business interests of Melie Bianco. Accordingly, Vendors are required to make all decisions that affect Melie Bianco’s based solely on Melie Bianco’s best interests, free from improper influences or the appearance of influence. Vendors must not become involved in any situation that creates an actual or potential conflict of interest with Melie Bianco, and must inform Melie Bianco management if actual or potential conflicts arise or are expected to arise. A conflict of interest can occur in a number of situations. Several examples include: 1. Doing business with a Melie Bianco Associate or their or family member outside the Melie Bianco business relationship; 2. Employing an Associate or the family member of an Associate; 3. Having a financial interest in a direct competitor of Melie Bianco; or 4. A Melie Bianco associate or their family member having a significant financial interest in a Vendor.
- BRIBES AND KICKBACKS Melie Bianco requires that all Melie Bianco Associates must not request or receive any kick-back, bribe, disguised commission or similar payment or benefit (“Bribe”) from any Vendor. Similarly, Associates 06/2016 21 must not directly or indirectly make any Bribe to any Vendor or to any public or governmental officials. Vendor shall promptly report to Melie Bianco any violation of the foregoing policy. Additionally, Vendor shall not make any Bribe to an Associate or to any public or governmental official in connection with any Melie Bianco business.
- GIFTS AND ENTERTAINMENT Melie Bianco supports a gift policy that restricts gifts to Associates with very few exceptions and respectfully requests that Vendors do not send gifts to associates. Gifts covered by this policy include anything of value. Examples of gifts include: meals; entertainment; discounts; merchandise; trips; services; tickets to theater, concerts and sporting events; golf outings; vehicle use; and lodging. Gifts do not include: (1) items that are available generally to a large group of Associates on an equal basis; (2) perishable items (such as chocolates, fruit baskets or flowers) that are shared with Associates at the Associate’s work location; and (3) business-related meals and business-related entertainment that meet the restrictions below. Participation in customary business meals and entertainment is not a violation of this Policy, provided that: (a) it is intended to promote legitimate business discussions or to foster better business relations with the host; (b) it involves expenditures that are reasonable and occurs at a frequency that is reasonable under the circumstances; (c) it occurs in settings that are reasonable and appropriate to the business at hand; and (d) the actual or prospective business partner or customer is present at the meal or event.
ETHICAL LABOR STANDARDS AND WORKPLACE COMPLIANCE
Melie Bianco believes in enabling all people to be their best selves. We are committed to providing buyers with product that was manufactured responsibly. We depend on you to help us to deliver on those standards by hiring and managing an adult volunteer workforce, paying workers a fair wage, providing a safe and healthy environment in which to work, and adhering to local labor laws. It is your responsibility to ensure fair, safe, and healthy working conditions in your manufacturing facilities. Melie Bianco reserves the right to request hiring data, to visit manufacturing facilities to observe working conditions, and to hire outside auditors to maintain regular visibility into labor standards. Melie Bianco has zero tolerance for unauthorized subcontracting.
ELEMENTS OF FAIR, SAFE, AND HEALTHY WORKING CONDITIONS INCLUDE:
- Employing willing adult workers who are compensated fairly and regularly. Melie Bianco vendors must employ adults working freely of their own volition and compensate employees a living wage in accordance with local laws. Melie Bianco has zero tolerance for child labor. Melie Bianco has zero tolerance for forced labor.
- Adhering to non-discriminatory hiring and promotion practices. Melie Bianco vendors are expected to grant equal access to open positions to qualified men and women of different ethnic backgrounds and to make hiring, promotion, and firing decisions based on objective criteria related to productivity and work product.
- Investing in emergency plans and equipment. Melie Bianco vendors must ensure every floor or large room in your manufacturing facility has at least two exits – and that these remain unlocked and well-marked. We recommend vendors make sure there is sufficient lighting and signage so workers are able to reach exits quickly. Train employees in fire prevention and emergency exit procedures. Designate a safe space outside the manufacturing facility for workers to re-assemble in case of emergency V. LABOR STANDARDS AND WORKPLACE COMPLIANCE 06/2016 24 exit. Make fire extinguishers visible and available.
- Ensuring structural stability and safety. Melie Bianco vendors are expected to conduct regular building inspections, invest in building upkeep, post capacity limits (i.e. # of people who can safely be in one room or area at a time), and then hire and staff to those limits to avoid overcrowding on site. Develop emergency action plans and carry out evacuation drills.
- Creating a healthy work environment. Melie Bianco vendors are expected to manufacture product in factories that are well ventilated and well lit. Employees should have regular access to fresh air and light. It’s recommended that vendors orient workspaces to make maximum use of light, whether windows or artificial lighting, to avoid worker eye strain when completing tasks. Employees must have sufficient access to sufficient hygienic drinking water.
- Providing sanitary facilities. Melie Bianco vendors are expected to maintain manufacturing facilities with clean toilets and sinks, adequately stocked with soap, towels, water, and toilet paper to ensure good hygiene habits.
- Prioritizing worker safety. Melie Bianco vendors must provide Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to prevent exposure to potentially harmful substances and to avoid risk of accident. The areas in which PPE would be expected includes (but is not limited to) cutting and dying fabric. Vendors are expected to provide working safety masks, boots, gloves, aprons, and goggles to workers who work with dying chemicals, chain mesh gloves for workers who use cutting tools, and dust masks for workers who risk breathing in chemical dust. Melie Bianco believes in enabling all people to be their best selves. We are committed to providing customers with product that was manufactured responsibly. We depend on you to help us to deliver on those standards by hiring and managing an adult volunteer workforce, paying workers a fair wage, providing a safe and healthy environment in which to work, and adhering to local labor laws. It is your responsibility to ensure fair, safe, and healthy working conditions in your manufacturing facilities. Melie Bianco reserves the right to request hiring data, to visit manufacturing facilities to observe working conditions, and to hire outside auditors to maintain regular visibility into labor standards. Melie Bianco has zero tolerance for unauthorized subcontracting.
ANIMAL WELFARE POLICY
Melie Bianco believes that animals are entitled to humane treatment and to have their basic needs met. This must be respected through the adoption of good animal husbandry, and the fulfilment of our animal welfare requirements.
Melie Bianco does not accept any animal hair.
Melie Bianco does not accept real fur.
Melie Bianco does not accept any leather products made from cow, buffalo, sheep, goat, fish or pig.
Melie Bianco does not accept animal testing on any products, either during production or on finished products.
Any questions or concerns please email us at: email@example.com